Saturday, October 10, 2009

Day 25: Angels in America

I spent last night cleaning up the house and watching "Angels in America." I put the movie and play down after I was diagnosed. I watched a majority of the 6 hour play last night and finished the rest this morning. I am following it up with "Jeffrey."

OK I am not sitting here with a blanket crying about relationships. Both movies are very insightful with HIV and the people surrounding them. Of course they are both in NY and involve real homosexuals, but that shouldn't detour any small town boy to learn.

There is such a balance in parents; Joe and his mother in "Angels and Jeffrey and his parents in "Jeffrey."

In Angels, Joe's mom talked about how ridiculous it is that he mentions he's a homosexual. Slowly she comes to term with a lifestyle she wasn't familiar with and slowly finds compassion.

In Jeffrey, his parents are very comfortable. They assist their son (who has recently stopped having sex) by describing every form of self stimulation. This includes dirty magazines, toys and his mother practicing phone sex with Jeffrey.

It's really hard to predict how people will interpret something this big. It's even more frustrating to understand the reaction, which sometimes can misinterpret a persons true feelings.

Sometimes people shy away or push away when they are scared of being drawn into reality and being hurt.

I wish I could say "I'm dying I don't have time!" But NO! HIV has to be so manageable now. It's scary but it doesn't have to ruin your life.

Sticking with your health will lead to happy outlets. You just have to trust yourself and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment