Saturday, September 19, 2009

Day 4: Hand on Shoulder

I received an email from the boyfriend with subject "I'm Here." He needed space and I reassured him I am pretty much doing as well as I can be. I replied to let him know that he could stop communication now for all I needed was a response.

Iago watched me cry at the email - just having someone put their hand on your shoulder, virtually or in real life can be so comforting.

I remember at my Great-aunt Sue's funeral, everyone turned to my dad to speak during the burial. He couldn't. Here was this outgoing talkative expressive guy who clammed up when the moment was so internal. I put my hand on my dad's shoulder and he began to talk. He began to express himself which brought tears of joy to the rest of the people at the funeral. Tears of remembrance, tears of love and tears of hope.

A simple touch is all we need in order for us to know that things will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment