Monday, September 28, 2009

Day 13: El Gay Es El

This guy came to my office asking for directions. He was wearing a t-shirt that said "El Gay Es El" with an arrow pointing to his left.

I love the simple things in life where in a moment you have to take a few glances before you realize how funny, pretty or suspicious something is.

Why is it that I turn on my fan in my office and have an air freshener?

It's because I am a boy and it is determined by natural selection that I have bad gas - a lot! When the fan is on it's probably a good idea to stay out! I don't have the air freshener to accent my office decor, it's because I don't want to stink. My sister is probably angry at this point because i am a failure at using bathroom spray to assuage the scent of sit-down toilet activities. And yet I am good when it comes to office courtesy. I hear an "Oh Paul" coming on.

Today is my first counseling session where we start getting into this HIV thing. Last week was about me talking, now it's about analysis. I love this part. I love living life and at the same time stepping out and being objective. It's like proof reading your own paper. There are so many mistakes but perhaps after a larger frequency you become prone to catching the errors and fixing them before turning the paper in.

A bit of HIV information.

The 20 minute rapid test is accurate to detect HIV a month after infection, according to the nurses at the UCSD HIV Research Study. The test is so sensitive that although it says you need at least two months, it should be able to detect it within a month. The test has a 1 in 500 chance of producing a false positive.

If you are in the San Diego area the one week test is available however it is unclear if it available anywhere else. In Florida this test is standard. It was developed because of blood banks as a way for them to detect it for donations.

No comments:

Post a Comment